Sunday, December 27, 2009

Music for 2009

Hard times makes fertile ground for songwriters. Here are some of my favorites for the year.

Ryan Bingham's Roadhouse Sun. Ryan also received a golden globe nomination for best song, The Weary Kind, sound track from the movie Crazy Heart.



Quite a year for a man that couldn't draw 40 people to Gruene Hall less than three years ago.

Dustin Welch's Whiskey Priest.

Matt King's Rube.

Steve Earle's Townes.

Sean McConnell hasn't released a full album, but his EP the Walk Around provides a taste of tremendous talent.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Slaid Cleaves' Everything you love will be taken away.

And Charlie Robison gets an honorable mention for his divorce album Beautiful Day.

I must also second Sean Paul Kelly's nod to the Avett Brothers I and love and you.

While I haven't heard the whole CD, the title track from Lyle Lovett's Natural Forces is getting air play and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment